Thursday, January 7, 2010

On the Road

Just a quick note tonight because I am wiped. I don't know what it is about traveling that is so exhausting-- after all, unless you're the driver you really don't DO that much-- but I am always tired after a day on the road. And today was a very long day-- starting at 6:30am when I woke up to get a drive to catch an 8am bus that took me to an 11am train. I found the train to be a very peaceful way to travel-- much more leisurely than almost any other form of transportation, I think. Something like what cars might be like if you could get up and move around, and if you didn't get stuck in traffic. I enjoyed the chance to get a different viewpoint of the route down to DC-- the Rhode Island/Connecticut/New York coast along what I presume was the Long Island Sound was particularly beautiful. Train travel gives one the chance to think, or to just relax as I was able to-- spend the day reading, sleeping, listening to music, watching The West Wing, just watch the world go by. Those types of peaceful Zen-like moments will be few and far between now that the semester is starting up, and I really enjoyed the opportunity today. I'm not sure that I would want to take the train between DC and Boston that often-- it is a VERY long trip-- but I'm glad I did it this time, and it's a nice option to keep in mind for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment