Wednesday, January 6, 2010

As Time Goes By

Today was my last day at home (in New Hampshire) during this break. I spent the majority of it running errands and visiting with people, so it was busier than the days have typically been. However, I did have the joy of visiting with two longtime friends and their children (woah!), and of hanging out a little bit in my two favorite businesses in town. Adelle's Coffeehouse and the Silver Moon Creperie are by far the restaurants that I frequent most often, and each has its unique vibe and atmosphere. I have no particular problem with chain restaurants-- I often go to Applebees or the Olive Garden or Friendly's-- but I like the individuality of these smaller businesses. Plus you can't replace the connection that develops with the owners and/or employees when you visit often.

It's become a bit strange, though, the way in which time goes by so fast. It's never struck me quite as much as it did today. I guess it's easier to tell when the measuring stick becomes your friend's babies. The last time I saw Baby Noah and Baby Artemis, they were approximately 6 months and 1 month, respectively. Artemis in particular was TINY. When they're that little, it's easy to tell that a great deal of time has gone by, and it blew me away. Just another one of the hazards of having two homes-- when you aren't in one of them, life keeps rolling along, and unfortunately you miss out on certain things. Things that you can't replace with a phone call or really any amount or type of technology.

Winter vacation never feels quite long enough, but my bags are all packed so I guess it's about time to sign off from this side of Boston/New York City for a while. It's time to get back to the routine (and rat race) of the District of Columbia, and put some of my mental preparations and New Year's resolutions to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment