Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lenten Discipline: Be Present

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the official first day of Lent. During this forty day period, many Christians choose to "give up" something in a fast designed to remind them of Christ's sacrifice.

I used to try to give something up for Lent. The problem was, I usually wound up just resenting and ultimately breaking that Lenten fast-- probably because I was younger and my thoughts and motivations for doing it were not strong enough to keep me going. Eventually I simply "gave up" giving things up for Lent.

Last year, I decided to transform my Lenten fast into a Lenten discipline that would help me to focus my mind on the faith issues that matter at this time of year. I committed to journaling on a daily basis, a practice which focused and calmed my mind, giving me an all-around better experience. I appreciated Lent as never before, and still continue the practice of journaling to this day.

This year, I have committed to try to really "be present" in everything I do, especially when I am with other people. In our busy and hyper-technological society, there is a tendency both to watch the clock for when you have to run off to the next meeting or class or whatever, and to spend more time texting other people than paying attention to the real person you're with. I have always tried to fight against this tendency, but I think it would be beneficial for me to focus on this as a commitment during Lent. I'm still in the process of figuring out exactly what it's going to mean, but it will probably involve silencing my phone when I am talking to someone, and it may well mean giving up listening to my iPod on the Metro.

I picked this Lenten discipline last night, and circumstances immediately put it to the test. Just as I was about to get ready for bed, my friend A. came tearing into my room. He had just had a fight with one of his close friends and needed someone to listen and help him cool down. I closed my book, listened, and he left in a much calmer state. Then I walked down the hall to brush my teeth, and ran into my friend T., who was having a bad night. I listened to her rant, then went and got ready for bed. Just as I was about to go to sleep, my friend J. texted me, asking to borrow my sleeping bag for someone who needed a place to stay that night. Being responsive to all these people and being present for them was very rewarding, and I'm glad I got to do it, as always. I just hope that last night isn't going to become a model for the next forty days, or I am going to be incredibly sleep-deprived within a fortnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment